Chana Dal Vada Recipe – South Indian chana dal vada recipe is a crispy deep fried savory made from bengal gram. This crunchy and mildly spicy dumplings or vada are very popular in Southern India.
prep time –cook time –total time –
ingredients : –
- 120 grams chana dal or ½ cup chana dal/husked and split bengal gram
- 1 cup water for soaking
- 1 medium onion, 60 grams or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped, optional
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, 8 to 10 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon rock salt or add as per taste
- oil for deep frying
Racepie : –
- Rinse chana dal for a couple of times in water and soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours
- Drain the soaked chana dal very well. there should be no water in the dal. then add the chana dal in a grinder jar.
- without adding any water, grind to a coarse mixture. if you add water, then it becomes difficult to shape the vadas. if you are not able to grind at all, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons water and then grind.
- now take the coarsely ground chana dal in a bowl. add ⅓ cup chopped onion, 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped), 8 to 10 curry leaves (chopped) and 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. you can also add ½ inch ginger (chopped).
- season with salt. mix very well. check the taste and add more salt if required.
- now make small or medium sized balls from the mixture.
- flatten them slightly thin as then, they becomes more crisp and crunchy and place them on a plate or tray.
- heat oil for deep frying.
- now carefully slid the prepared vadas in the hot oil.
- fry them for a couple of minutes and then turn over with a slotted spoon and fry the other side. lower the flame while frying if the oil becomes too hot.
- fry till the chana dal vadas become golden and crisp. when the onions on the crust of the vada, look golden, this means the vada is done.
- place the fried chana dal vadas on kitchen paper towels to get rid of extra oil.
- fry the remaining chana dal vada this way in batches.
- serve the chana dal vada hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.