Dabeli is a snack food of India, originating in the Kutch region of Gujarat. Its is Also Mumbai street food or road side food.
For the dabeli masala:
- 1 dry red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or coriander powder ( dhania powder)
- ½ inch stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
For the red garlic chutney –
- 1 to 2 red chilies – soaked in warm water for 30-40 minutes
- ½ cup garlic (lahsun) – chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
For potato filling –
- 3 medium sized potatoes – boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dabeli masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 2 tablespoon tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon water (optional)
For serving –
- 4 to 5 buns or pav sliced and lightly roasted in some butter or oil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup nylon sev
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds garlic chutney as required
- sweet tamarind dates chutney as required
Recipe method :-
For dabeli masala –
- dry roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds.
- add all the ingredients in a grinder & grind to a fine powder, keep aside.
For Red garlic chutney –
- in a grinder or blender, grind the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice and salt to a smooth paste, add water if required. keep aside.
For potato stuffing:
- boil the potatoes, peel and mash them and keep aside.
- In a pan or kadai, heat oil. add cumin.
then add chopped onion and fry the onions.add asafoetida/hing and fry for a minute on a low flame.
- Add the sweet tamarind dates chutney to the onions and mix it well.
- Add the mashed potatoes and again mix well.
- Add the dabeli masala to the mashed potatoes. mix well and add salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture.
- If the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
- When its done, spread potato filling on a plate.
- Sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
- Add some chopped coriander on top.
- Now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both.
- keep potato stuffing aside.
serving the dabeli:
- Assemble all the ingredients mentioned under serving in one place.
- Apply the sweet chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side.
- Take a slice of the potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread.
- Add some chopped onion and coriander leaves
- Top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds (Anaardana).
- Sprinkle some dabeli masala also. lastly top it with sev.
- Cover with the other slice of bread.
- Prepare the remaining dabeli pav in the same way and serve.