Gujarat street food – Angara potatoes or spicy potatoes with rice crackers – For potato lovers who like a hint of spice, this Indian recipe borrowed from Riwaj Of India is the best thing in the world. The snap, crackle and pop as you fry the spices is part of the joy.
Aloo angara consists of a common garden potato that’s been peeled, cored through the centre and deep fried. The outer surface of the potato is then smeared with a tangy paste of yogurt and tandoori spices while the hollow core is stuffed with an unusual combination of peas, chillies, chopped poppadums, cheese and chaat masala.
The beauty of Angara potatoes is that it does not have a fixed recipe. So many versions to choose from.Here potatoes are cut into cubes in flavors ranging from coriander and cardamom to the tang of mango powder.
Today we will learn how to make Gujarat street food – Angara potatoes or spicy potatoes following this simple recipe.
Gujarat street food – Angara potatoes
Ingredients : –
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 tbs red chili powder
- 1 tbs khatai powder( dry mango powder or Amchur)
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp chat masala powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida( hing powder)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- coriander sprigs, chopped
- Indian bread or Rice Crackers to serve
Recipe : –
- First Boil potatoes until soft, then peel cut into cubes. ( if u have small potatoes no need to cut)
- Place the potato coriander, turmeric and chilli powder in a bowl and season with salt. Toss to coat the potato evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan or Kadayi. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add the potato and stir gently to coat in the oil. and After 2 mins turn of the flame
- Garnish with chopped coriander sprigs,cheese and chaat masala.
- Serve with indian bread or Rice crackers.