This is the most popular veg biryani recipe, learn to make easy and delicious pressure cooker veg biryani recipe.
- 8 medium sized cauliflower florets
- 1 large boiled potato cubed (peel the skin and boil till ¾ done)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- Fistful of green peas
- 4 to 5 beans chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. Mint leaves / pudina minced
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves chopped very finely
- 2 green chilies
- 1 large onion thinly sliced about ½ to ¾ cup or store bought fried onions
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of biryani masala powder or garam masala(any
ready made powder is ok, adjust to suit the spice levels)
- ⅓ tsp red chili powder (adjust as needed)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup or 250 ml yogurt / curd / dahi (not very thick and not very thin)
- 4 tbsp. ghee or oil
- Few saffron strands
- 3 tbsps hot milk or water to soak the saffron strands
- Raisins (kismis/dry graps) as needed
- Cashews (kaju) as needed
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp shahi jeera (we are using this in two part one for cooking veggie and other on for rice cooking
- 1 ½ cups aged basmathi rice
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for at least 30 mins. While the rice soaks you can go ahead with the next steps.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add even & thinly sliced onions. fry them in oil till golden and crisp. Set these aside half of this.
- In the same pan, add spices cinnamon stick, green cardamoms,black cardamom, star anise,cloves, bay leaf, shahi jeera and saute till they begin to sizzle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off. Add parboiled potatoes and the rest of vegetables. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric, masala powder and red chili powder. Mix and fry well for 2 minutes till
you begin to get an aroma.
- Pour 100 ml yogurt and mix. Cook till the vegetables are done to tender. You can cover and cook. Cook uncovered if there is lot of moisture after the veggies are
- Cook covered till the veggies are cooked al dente, just cooked. Cook covered if needed. Do not overcook the veggies. Off the stove when done. While the veggies are getting cooked, you can proceed with the next step.
- In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to boil, add oil, salt, shahi jeera and bay leaf. Adjust the salt as needed.
- Add washed, soaked and drained rice. Cook this rice till it is 90% done or al dente (just cooked). You must be able to get a bite into the rice.
- Drain off the excess water and set aside. You can soak saffron in 2 tbsp of this hot water or in hot milk. Set aside.
- Make sure the veggies are cooked all dent. If you like to make a 2 layer biryani, set aside 1/3 of the cooked veggies.
- Now mix together the rest of the cooked veggies, rest of the yogurt, mint, coriander,nuts and raisins, few fried onions. you can do it in a pressure cooker.
- Layer the rice over the vegetable mix. Then layer the ⅓ cooked vegetable mix or 2 pinches of masala powder. Sprinkle some fried onions, mint and coriander. Layer with vegitable on it and layer rice over it again, then the fried onions, mint and coriander leaves and pour off the saffron milk.
- Fry nuts in a tbsp ghee, saute raisins and then pour this over the rice.
- Place a moist clean cloth to seal the rim. You can even use a silver foil to seal the utensil.Place the dum utensil on a hot tawa and cook for 5 minutes on a medium flame and then on low for 5 to 7 minutes based on the thickness of your utensil.
- Serve hyderabadi veg biryani hot or warm in layers of rice and gravy.
For the oven method:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and bake for 20 mins. if you feel it is still very moistbeneath, bake for another 5 to 10 mins. This depends on what kind of baking dish youuse. Usually ceramic ones get done faster.