Spring roll recipe – Chinese veg spring rolls are a popular starter or snack. This is serve in to the Restaurants but these can be made with homemade spring roll wrappers or with readymade frozen sheets.
For veggie stuffing:
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil or any oil
- 150 grams cabbage Or about 2.25 to 2.5 cups shredded cabbage
- 80 grams carrot Or 2 small carrots shredded Or ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 small to medium green bell pepper (capsicum or shimla mirch) – thinly sliced Or 1/3 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 7 to 8 french beans, sliced very thinly Or ¼ cup thinly sliced beans
- 2 to 3 cup small to medium spring onions (scallions) Or 1/3 cup spring onions whites
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or add as per taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup cooked noodles Or about 75 grams uncooked noodles (optional)
- 3 tablespoon bean sprouts (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying
For the sealing paste:
- 6 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida) or corn starch
- 4 to 5 tablespoon water or add as required to make a thick paste
- 24 to 30 spring roll wrappers
- measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
For Veggie Stuffing :
- First cook 75 grams noodles as per package instructions. Add the noodles in hot boiling water and cook them.
- Once the noodles should be cooked well, then strain the noodles and rinse them thoroughly in water.strain and keep aside.
- Chop the veggies in thin long strips. For cabbage and carrot, you can shred them. slice the green bell pepper/capsicum in thin strips. french beans you can slice them very thinly, diagonally. chopping takes time, so you can also use a food processor to chop the veggies. (you can use your choice of veggies.)
- Now heat 2 tbsp sesame oil in a wok or kadai. keep the flame on medium intensity and add 1/3 cup spring onion whites.
- Stir and then add all the veggies.Increase the flame to high and stir fry the veggies for 4 to 5 minutes on a high flame.
- Add 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper powder and 1 tsp finely chopped celery (optional).
- Add 1 tbsp soy sauce. both black pepper and soy sauce can be adjusted as per your taste. Stir everything very well.
- Then add the cooked noodles. Season with salt, add less salt as soy sauce already has salt.
- Stir again very well. the filling has to be dry.Switch off the flame and add the spring onion greens.
- Stir and keep the filling aside. let it cool down.
For Sealing Paste :
- In a bowl, mix 6 tbsp all purpose flour or corn starch and 4 to 5 tbsp water. i used all purpose flour.
- Stir very well to make a thick paste without any lumps.
Assembling spring rolls :
- Now take the wrapper. make sure that the wrappers are at room temperature before using them.
- Now with your fingertip, apply the paste on the edges of the wrapper. then place 1 tbsp of the veggie stuffing on one side.gently but tightly roll till the end.
- Seal the end part to the roll and place the roll with the sealed side downwards.
- Now spread some of the paste on the sides.
- Bring one side touching the roll and press gently.
- Do the same with the other side. Again spread the batter on both the closed edges.
- Seal both the sides from sideways. spread some batter on the sealed edges.
- then bring the open side on top of the roll. press gently and seal it. while working with the wrappers, use light force from your hands, otherwise they may break.
- now place all the spring rolls with the sealed edges facing down on a plate. your hands will become messy when stuffing the spring rolls.
Deep frying spring rolls :
- Heat oil at the deep frying temperature (180 to 190 degrees celsius). gently slid on spring roll. if the oil is not hot enough, then the spring rolls absorb oil and become soggy.
- Once they become light golden, turn them over and fry the other side.
- Fry them till they are crisp and golden. the spring rolls get fried quickly.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon.drain on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Garnish with some chopped spring onion greens and serve the spring rolls hot with red chilli sauce or tomato ketchup or green chutney.
Watch video for Spring Rolls :-